Peppermint (Mentha Piperita)
Peppermint Essential Oil Information
Common Name: Peppermint
Latin Name: Mentha piperita
Plant part: Leaves
Distillation Method: Steam
Distillation Date: December 2015
Shelf Life: About 4-5 years
Country of Origin: India
Aroma Profile: This essential oil has a wonderful sweet aroma to it like peppermint candy! It is a slightly more sweet smelling one than the US peppermint I have been carrying. It also does not come across as herbaceous smelling as some can be. It has a nice amount of menthol to it that allows for it to be stimulating but not overly so. I do think I prefer this one over my US peppermint!
Safety Data: May cause skin or mucous membrane irritation. Avoid using with children under five years. Can be neurotoxin near the face. Due to its high menthol percentage, should be avoided by those with clotting disorders.
Usage ideas: Create cooling and soothing spray.
- 12 drops of Peppermint
- 24 drops of Solubol
- 2 ounces of Lavender Hydrosol
Emotional/Energetic Qualities: Clearing, uplifting, awakens, stimulates highly energetic creativity, supports self confidence.
Recommended applications: Diffuse only 1 drop with other nourishing type oils as it can irritate mucous membranes, topical application using safe dilution ratios.
- This essential oil is contraindicated fro cardiac fibrillation, G6PD deficient individuals, and can be a neurotoxin if applied to or near the face of infants or small children.
- Oral contraindications include cholestasis and is cautioned for individuals with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- The recommended maximum daily topical use is 5.4%
- Do not place on broken skin.