Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus)
Lemongrass Essential Oil Information
Common Name: Lemongrass
Latin Name: Cymbopogon flexuosus
Plant part: Grass
Distillation Method: Steam
Distillation Date: September 2017
Shelf Life: About 3-4 years
Country of Origin: India, Organic.
CF1709 September 2017 (Coming soon)
LG0615 Summer 2015
Aroma: As the name suggests, it does have a lemony scent, but it also has some wonderful herbal and round persistent notes that almost persuade you to keep smelling it. I makes for a wonderful top or middle not in blends and does not require much because of its persistent aroma.
Personal notes: I love using this in uplifting blends and in soap making. It adds just the right amount of "umph" without requiring much. While many love using it in insect repellent blends, I urge caution as it can and does attract bees.
Safety Data: May cause irritation to skin and mucous membranes, best to use in low doses. Avoid using on individuals with sensitive or damaged skin. May be sensitizing. Robert Tisserand suggests that the oil not be used with children under two years old. Restrict use during pregnancy and breast feeding to maximum 0.7%.
Usage idea: Try this as a stock blend to use blend in a topical ointment for support against fungal conditions.
- 5 drops Lemongrass
- 5 drops Geranium
- 10 drops Palmarosa
- 5 drops Sandalwood
- 5 drops Tea Tree
- 5 drops Patchouli
Energetic qualities: Uplifts mood while relaxing, refreshes and offers emotional protection, eases difficult emotional transitions, reduces fatigue & energizes
Recommended applications: Topical application using safe dilution ratios.
- The recommended maximum dermal use is 0.7% to avoid any irritation or increase risk of sensitization.
- Lemongrass essential oil is high in aldehydes and can be irritating to mucous membrane tissues. Therefore, it is recommended for diffusion, steam inhalation, or inhalers in very low percentages.
- Other dermal cautions include use on individuals that have hypersensitive, diseased or damaged skin, as well as on children under 2.
- Use with caution in oral formulations with diabetes medications and pregnancy.
- In any and all routes, caution should be used for those that are taking medications metabolized by CYP2B6.
- Do not place on broken skin.
California Prop 65 Statement: This product contains essential oil constituents on the CA Prop 65 list of toxic chemicals. This product conforms to the reporting requirements of California Proposition 65 (Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986). We are conforming to the regulation by reporting the existence, or lack thereof, of ingredients deemed reportable by the above mentioned regulations via a Safety Data Sheet (SDS), in Section 15 "Regulatory Information." Ingredients from Natural Food Sources (NFS) are exempt from reporting in accordance with Title 27, § 25501(a).